Introduction and Experience
I obtained a Masters degree (cum laude) in Clinical Psychology at the University of North West (Potchefstroom) and completed my internship at Witrand Hospital. I was part of a multidisciplinary team at Vaalmed, a health medical organization for 6 years and also lectured part time at the North West University (Vaal Triangle). I am in private practice for the past 20 years. Currently I am practicing in Durbanville. I am also part of a medical team presenting a Metabolic and Mind Balance Eating program that includes group sessions run by me. I am also a TRE (Tension and Trauma releasing exercises) trainer who teaches TRE facilitators and also run TRE group sessions. I had presented at national and international conferences and workshops on various topics.
As a clinical psychologist, my training and experience covers the treatment of a range of psychological problems that include serious health problems such as anxiety and depression as well as ordinary life problems such as stress, emotional, relationship, lifestyle and existential difficulties.
I am specialised in:
- Hypnotherapy (Phase III (Advanced) in Traditional hypnotherapy, Medical hypno-analysis, Ericksonian-, and Ego state hypnotherapy.
- SE Somatic Experiencing (Advance level).
- TRE (Tension and Trauma Releasing Exercises) Level 3: Trainer
- EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing).
- EMI (Eye movement Integration). (Advance Level)
- Energy Psychology (Including EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique), TFT (Thought Field Therapy)
- Life Alignment (Busy with Module 5: Advanced practitioner)
Therapy areas of special interests:
- Adjustment problems
- Anxiety disorders
- Body therapies
- Childhood related issues
- Chronic Pain
- Depression and other Mood Disorders
- Grief and Loss
- Health and Life style problems
- Personal growth and Life skills
- Psycho somatic issues (Physical symptoms with emotional roots)
- Positive Psychology
- Relationship problems
- Sleeping problems
- Sexual abuse
- Sexual problems
- Stop smoking
- Stress management
- Trauma and debriefing
- Weight control and other eating disorders
My therapeutic approach:
I follow a holistic and multi-dimensional approach and use different therapeutic tools when needed as part of a client’s treatment plan. I make use of an integrative approach to fit my client’s unique needs and circumstances. Thus, therapy for me is not a “once size fits all” approach.
Through my clinical experience and from studying the latest research material, I came to realize that in order to completely resolve the effect of stress and trauma on a person, a therapist needs to work on the combined mind, body, emotional, and spiritual levels. That also means working on a conscious as well as an unconscious level. For the conscious mind I use therapies like CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) and for the subconscious mind I use therapies like Hypnotherapy and Energy Psychology. To help the body I use therapies like SE (Somatic Experiencing) and TRE (Tension and Trauma Releasing Exercises). Helping the brain to process stored trauma and working on a multi-level I use therapies like EMDR (Eye movement desentization and reprocessing) and EMI (Eye movement Integration).
My role as psychologist is to be a facilitator of change and transformation, helping my clients to implement any changes effectively. The therapeutic process will allow you to create a therapeutic journey, which facilitates healing and growth. I further aim to empower my clients with knowledge and to help them discover their own light within so they can continue their life path on their own.
I am a member of the following Professional Bodies:
- HPCSA (Health Professional Council of South Africa)
- SASCH (South African Society of Clinical Hypnosis)
- PsySA (Psychological Association of South Africa)
HPCSA registration number: PS 0026530
Practice number: 8629870