I am a Clinical Psychologist practicing in Kloof, Durban. I am committed to working with a wide array of psychological problems that affect adolescents, adults, couples, families and groups. I offer psychological assessment and psychotherapy, aimed at assisting clients deal with life challenges. I consider each client’s individual needs, taking a holistic approach which takes into account the whole person, including their emotional, spiritual and physical environments.
My psychological services include selected assessments to gain a holistic picture of the individual’s cognitive, behavioural and emotional functioning and to aid diagnosis and psychotherapy.
I use an eclectic approach to psychotherapy, drawing from a number of theories, which may vary according to the client’s individual needs, including: Psychodynamic (TLDP – Time Limited Dynamic Psychotherapy); Cognitive Behavioural Therapy; Dialectical Behaviour Therapy and Narrative Therapy. My approach for understanding couples in distress is based on Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT), which helps couples identify stuck patterns of interaction and focuses on promoting more positive emotional responses.
Some areas of interest
- Anxiety and Stress Management
- Suicidal thoughts
- Relationship issues (including Marital/Couples counselling)
- Personality Disorders
- Self-harming behaviours
- Trauma (domestic violence, sexual assault, hijacking, accidents, robberies etc)
- Forensics Psychology
- Substance Abuse
- Conflict Management
- Grief and Bereavement
- Life Transition Adjustments
- Personal Growth
Medical Aid rates and cash rate available
I hold a Master of Social Science degree in Clinical Psychology from the University of KwaZulu-Natal; a Master of Social Science degree in Health Promotion from the University of KwaZulu-Natal (Cum Laude); a BA Honours degree in Psychology from UNISA (Cum Laude).
My previous work experience includes
- psychological assessment; forensic assessment of both survivors and perpetrators of sexual abuse; conducting individual, family and group therapy sessions; inpatient and outpatient treatment; working as part of a multidisciplinary team within hospital complexes such as King Edward Hospital, King Dinuzulu Hospital, R K Khan Hospital and community health care centres, that offer services to individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- 5 years private practice as a Registered Counsellor performing short-term, supportive psychological interventions aimed at enhancing personal functioning in a variety of contexts including family, community, school, work and sport.
- 4 years working at the Open Door Crisis Care Centre offering supportive counselling for victims of violent crime
- 1 year at St Augustines Netcare Hospital offering trauma counselling to victims of sexual assault.
- 2 years with the Red Cross (Air Mercy Services) providing trauma counselling to victims of violent crime in rural areas who do not have access to psychological services.
- Facilitating a variety of workshops including Stress Management for the South African Police Services, Parenting Skills, Personal Growth and Life Transition Adjustment.
Practice No: PR 0667773
HPCSA Registration No: PS 0131059