I have been a registered clinical psychologist for 30 years and have worked in private practice, NGOs and various residential/clinical treatment settings. I have also done teaching and training in various academic settings and still run workshops and training courses (see below).
Through decades of working with Addiction I have been forced to look deeply into myself and I understand how difficult it can be to share one's vulnerabilities with another person. I provide a safe and affirming space where clients can feel free to explore all parts of themselves. I see every client/couple/family as unique, with a unique balance of strengths and vulnerabilities and aim to help them uncover their strengths while also addressing their challenges. I am constantly inspired by the courage and emerging wisdom of clients who change their lives regardless of their personal histories or circumstances.
I specialise in the following areas:
- Supporting people in recovery from addiction and other chronic illness
- Eating disorders
- Personal/Spiritual growth/Life transitions
- Couple, Family and Group therapy
- Co-dependence and Self esteem
- Trauma, Grief, Anxiety and Stress
- I also run courses, experiential workshops and retreats on Meditation (including Mindfulness practice - see www.mindfulselfcompassion.co.za), Personal/Spiritual growth, Couple Relationships, Co-dependence. (see www.peterpowis.co.za)
- I offer team-development and training for various Health organisations.
Experience and Training
I have 30 years of practice experience and apart from private practice:
- Have decades of experience working with addiction and recovery in outpatient, residential and community settings. I worked as co-founder and clinical director of Stepping Stones Addiction Centre for 12 years before returning to private therapy practice in 2009
- Have considerable training and experience in Couple, Family and Group therapy and also offer training and supervision in these areas
- I´ve done various internationally accredited trainings in Psychotherapy including EMDR and EFT (especially helpful for trauma) and completed an internationally accredited 2 year training in Focusing Orientated Therapy in 2011. The latter offers ways of tapping into the bodily-felt wisdom about psychological and interpersonal issues. I believe that the body often holds clues to direct our psychological healing.
- I am an accredited Appreciative Inquiry facilitator. AI is a strengths-based approach to working with individuals, couples/families, communities and organisations. It is designed to help individuals/couples/organisations uncover the "positive core" of their lived experience, enabling them to tap into the sometimes hidden resources needed to create new possibilities for themselves.
- With Claire Breen I run an 8 week course in Mindful Self-compassion (MSC). The practices and attitudes taught on this course have been well-researched and shown to have significant benefits on psychological wellbeing. I use some of this work in my private practice.
Practice number: PR 8607362
HPCSA Number: PS 0016560