Sumari van Rooyen is a registered Clinical Psychologist with the Health Professions Council of South Africa (PS 0118788) and Psychotherapist in private practice (Practice number: 0557870).
Sumari obtained her Bachelor of Science Cum Laude (Psychology and Physiology) through the North-West University, her Bachelor of Science with Honours in Psychology Cum Laude at the North-West University and her Master of Science in Clinical Psychology Cum Laude from the North-West University with a Certificate from the Vrije Universiteit (Amsterdam, Netherlands).
Outside of private practice psychotherapy, Sumari’s clinical experience includes local and international experience practicing at University Psychology Clinics, Tertiary Psychiatric and Medical Hospitals, International Schools and Colleges (United Kingdom), The Alzheimer’s Society (United Kingdom) and acute Spinal and Neuro Rehabilitation.
Sumari treats adults (individuals and couples), children, adolescents and geriatrics (age 60+) in psychotherapy.
Sumari specialises in treating:
- Depressive Disorders (Unipolar and Bipolar Depression, Postnatal Depression, Premenstrual Depression)
- Relationship, Couples and Marital Therapy (Marital Preparation, Marital Trauma and Conflict, Marital Enrichment, Separation, Divorce, Blended families)
- Sexual Orientation, Sexual functioning and Sexuality (Heterosexual, Homosexual, Bisexual, Polyamory, Asexuality, Sexual Pain, ED, Sexual arousal/pleasure etc.)
- Adolescent Identity Development and Adolescent Disorders (Depression, Anxiety, Self-harm, Self-esteem, Bullying)
- Anxiety Disorders (Panic Attacks/Disorder, OCD, Generalised Anxiety Disorder, Separation anxiety, Body Dysmorphic Disorder, Hoarding Disorder etc.)
- Psychological Trauma sustained in adult-or-childhood and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Traumatic Brain Injuries, Stroke and Tumours - Neuropsychological and Cognitive Rehabilitation
- Dementia and Neuro-cognitive Disorders (Alzheimer’s Disease)
- Personal Growth (Assertiveness training, Interview preparation, Conflict management, Communication skills, Self Actualisation etc.)
Sumari believes that there is meaning to be found in trauma and psychological symptoms. She aims to provide healing and growth through a collaborative relationship with her clients and adapts her therapeutic approach to each client’s preference and individual requirements.
Sumari is bilingual and conducts sessions in English as well as Afrikaans. Sumari also conducts sessions via Skype.
Sumari is affiliated with:
- Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA)
- British Psychological Society (BPS)
- Board of Healthcare Funders (BHF)
- South African National Association of Practicing Psychologists (SANAPP)
- Golden Key International Honour Society
HPCSA: PS 0118788
Practice number: 0557870