I am a clinical psychologist in Rosebank with 29 years of experience. I offer psychotherapy to adults, couples and adolescents. My interventions are psychodynamically oriented and I have, over the years, seen the benefit of longer term work. However, there is a definite place, in my practice, for short term interventions should this be necessary.
I am a registered clinical psychologist and have been in private practice since 1991. Prior to qualifying as a psychologist I worked, for 6 years, as a clinical social worker for Groote Schuur's Department of Psychiatry in their Substance Dependence Unit and Inpatient Adolescent Unit. During this time I gained considerable experience working with adolescents and people with substance dependence.
I work with individuals that present with a range of emotional and behavioural difficulties. I see individuals who are depressed, experiencing difficulties with anxiety, having difficulty adjusting to life stressors and experiencing relationship problems. Importantly, I see individuals who are wanting to understand themselves better in order to increase the quality of their lives. I believe that it is important to be informed theoretically when providing therapy, but equally important is providing a space for clients to feel safe and to be able to establish a trusting and open relationship with the clinician/therapist. My approach to seeing a client is one where we are able to establish the parameters of therapy and thereby set realistic goals which provides direction for the process of therapy.I believe that the therapy I offer is one where great strides are made in knowing one's self and I therefor work with individuals on a weekly basis.
I particularly enjoy working with couples, in dealing and negotiating various difficulties in their relationship.I have experience in helping couples who are struggling with infidelity, intense conflict, infertility and communication.
For the last 5 years I have gained considerable experience in infertility issues and specifically conducting Surrogacy Evaluations and Gamete Donor Evaluations (known and unknown) for potential parents. The former (Surrogacy Evaluation) requires preparing a report which is lodged to the court. In addition to this, I offer counselling to potential parents considering Surrogacy as an alternative method of having a family.
Over and above my private practice work
- I am a board member for Lawrence House which is a home for Refugee Children, from 2010 to present
- I am a member for Child Welfare's Alternative Care Panel, that provides multi disciplinary approach to their Adoption Service
- I have supervised Clinical Psychology Masters students at UCT
- In the past I have facilitated Staff Groups providing psychological services
- 1981: B.Soc.Sci. (SWk), University of Natal, Durban
- 1988: B.Soc Sci SWk Hons, University of Cape Town
- 1991: MA Clinical Psychology, University of Western Cape
- Registered with the Health Professions Council
- Since 1991 an active member in the Cape Town Society for Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy
- A member of Cape Town Child and Adolescent Psychoanalytic Group
- Member of the South African Psychoanalytic Confederation
- Member of the South African Association of Couple Psychoanalytic Psychotherapists
Practice Number: 8628254
HPCSA Number: PS 0041092