I’m a clinical psychologist in Rosebank, working with adults, older adolescents and couples.
Areas of special interest are:
- struggles with self-worth
- stuck or destructive patterns in relationships
- sexuality and gender identity issues
- coping with trauma
- experiences of racism, sexism, homophobia and other forms of social oppression
- debilitating anxiety, including OCD, phobias and panic attacks
- depression, low energy, lost motivation or blocked creativity
- coping with parenting, divorce and mid-life issues
- distress around body image and food.
Human suffering is profoundly complex. Painful experiences of doubt, sadness, shame, rage and fear often can’t be alleviated by logic or reassurances. Psychotherapy is one avenue for understanding and relieving psychological pain.
Psychotherapy can’t fix the past or control the future. But it can offer a unique experience of self-discovery in the company of another person. Through psychotherapy, we can learn unexpected things about ourselves, gain relief from unbearable worries, make space to process painful feelings, and find renewed hope, courage and energy.
For couples, psychotherapy can offer a safe space to express difficult feelings, take a step back from intense conflict and unpack it respectfully, and build new ways of relating.
I try to facilitate a careful understanding of what you as an individual or a couple are struggling with, what might be keeping you down or holding you back, and what your deepest emotional needs might be. I actively support self-care and compassion. With couples, I support and encourage greater empathy with each other. Throughout the therapy process, I try to hold in mind both the vulnerable and the strong, resilient parts of the self. My aim is to work collaboratively with you to find ways of making your experiences in the present more meaningful and alive.
Membership of professional bodies:
- Health Professions Council of South Africa
- Cape Town Psychoanalytic Self Psychology Group
- South African Psychoanalytic Confederation
I offer weekly or twice weekly sessions on weekdays and charge medical aid rates.
Practice number: 086 001 8644667
HPCSA registration number: PS0066052