I am a Counselling Psychologist working in private practice in the Edenvale area, Johannesburg. I have a passion for working with children. I specialise in play therapy with children, individual psychotherapy with adolescents, and psycho-educational assessments. I am registered with the Health Professions Council of South Africa and Board of Health Care Funders.
I specialise in Individual Play Therapy with children from ages 3.5 years to 11 years. Play Therapy provides a child with a safe environment through which they can explore their difficulties, resolve their conflicts and develop self-esteem, confidence, coping abilities and resilience. I believe in a systemic approach, incorporating the various support networks a child has, to optimise their coping abilities and development in all their environments, making the skills they acquire in therapy sustainable across all walks of life. Play Therapy can assist children to deal with:
- Adjustment difficulties related to change, e.g Divorce, new schools, Sibling rivalry etc
- Behavioural difficulties including, aggression, ADHD, ODD and CD.
- Anxiety/ stress
- Learning difficulties
- Self-esteem concerns/ Social difficulties
- Grief/ loss/trauma
- Discipline concerns
Individual Psychotherapy for adolescents
During Individual therapy, I use an eclectic approach that moulds the therapy process to the clients’ specific needs according to the presenting difficulty. Psychotherapy can assist in the following ways:
- Self-esteem difficulties
- Peer pressure
- Career guidance
- Identity difficulties
- Communication difficulties/couples counselling
- Stress, stress management, burnout.
Psycho-educational assessments are primarily focussed on diagnosing learning problems and/or determining the child's emotional and academic strengths and weaknesses in order to design an effective intervention strategy or programme.
- Cognitive / Intelligence Assessments
- School Readiness Assessments
- ADHD / Learning Difficulty Assessments
- Emotional Assessments
In general, assessments require a total of +/- 8 hours and my services include the following:
- Intake Interview with parents (60 minutes- 90minute appointment)
- School observation (should the child need to be observed for behavioural/scholastic difficulties) (to be decided upon conclusion of intake)
- Assessment with child (3-4 hours) over one day. (If an extra day is required this is not charged for)
- Feedback session with parents (60 minutes)
- Comprehensive report with recommendations (+/- 3 hours to score/ interpret and compile the report).
Office hours: Monday – Friday 8:00am – 18:30. Saturday 8:00 – 17:00, Sundays by arrangement.
HPCSA Reg No: PS 012 4358
Practice No: 086 002 0543179