I am a Counselling Psychologist in private practice trained in a variety of therapeutic modalities and specialising in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) with adolescents (from age 13) and adults. I have extensive experience in both the UK and South Africa in various settings, including primary care, secondary care and the corporate sector.
I am passionate about assisting clients in overcoming their difficulties and managing their problems of daily living by using evidence based approaches which have been proven effective through clinical research. My approach focuses on present issues and problems and how to move forward from these using proactive and practical strategies. I aim to empower my clients to manage their wellbeing sustainably by helping them to gain insight into their conditions and difficulties and by teaching them skills and techniques to adjust unhelpful thinking patterns and self-sabotaging behaviour. CBT tends to be a briefer form of therapy with an average of 6 - 18 sessions required, depending on the nature of the problem. I do also provider longer term therapy for more complex issues.
In addition to CBT, I specialise in Clinical Hypnotherapy for a range of issues, as well as Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR) for trauma. I also have extensive corporate experience with issues such as work stress, burnout, organisational dynamics and work-life balance.
Areas of interest and expertise include:
- Anxiety Disorders (including generalised anxiety, panic, OCD, social phobia, and specific phobias)
- Mood disorders (depression, bipolar disorder)
- Insomnia and sleep disturbance
- Grief and bereavement
- Work stress and burnout
- Adolescent developmental issues and life skills training
- Anger management
- Clinical Hypnotherapy (Hypnotherapy Practitioner Diploma obtained through Academy of Clinical and Medical Hypnosis, London, UK)
- Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR) for trauma
Practice number: 0484156
HPCSA Number: PS0097713