I am a clinical psychologist with private practices in Stellenbosch and Cape Town.
My main area of expertise is in-depth psychodynamic psychotherapy with adults and couples. This involves an in-depth approach to understanding deep-seated psychological problems.
The psychodynamic therapeutic approach is non-directive and non-judgemental. Building a trusting therapist-patient relationship, in which a safe space to express feelings is created, is integral to the process.This allows for the exploration and resolution of the unconscious conflicts which create psychological turmoil. Healing takes place when the psychodynamics of these issues are understood consciously, worked through, and integrated into the self.
As a clinical psychologist with additional training in the medical field, I have a special interest in the link between medical/physical problems and their psychological origin/consequences. The mind and body are intimately connected, and unconscious psychological conflicts or past traumatic experiences often present in the form of physical symptoms and problems. Examples are: irritable bowel syndrome, peptic ulcer disease, chronic fatigue, migraine, gynaecological problems, infertility, auto-immune diseases, panic disorder, chronic pain, skin diseases, sexual disorders, and many other (often unexplained) medical diseases. Traditional medical treatments often don’t result in cure or only provides temporary symptom relief.
Other areas of special interest and experience are:
- eating disorders (e.g. anorexia, bulimia, emotional overeating)
- sexual abuse and the long term effects of sexual trauma
- sexual disorders
- gay/lesbian issues as well as problems around sexual orientation
- chronic depression
- ante- and postnatal depression
- chronic anxiety and other anxiety disorders
- emotional "deadness" in relationships and other relationship problems
- borderline personality disorder
- clinical hypnotherapy and hypnoanalysis
- dissociative conditions
HPCSA Number: 0091332
Practice Number: 0214582